Toronto is the largest city in Canada, home to multi-diversity, Niagara falls, skyscrapers, entertainment hubs, world-class educational institutions and much more.
If you have been thinking of studying in Canada, we list down some of the most interesting things about Toronto to help you make your decision to study in Canada!
Rated amongst the top 10 most livable cities in the world, Toronto has a population of 2.93 million and is one of the most popular destinations for international students in the world.
Toronto is a financial and cultural hub of Canada. It has high growth opportunities in banks, real estate, and retail sectors, offering international students studying in Toronto exponential career growth options.
Did you know Toronto is rated as the best business city for working women by Bloomberg Businessweek?
General Facts about Toronto
- Founded by the British, Toronto was built in the 18th century.
- The Toronto region has a population of approximately 6 million.
- The average mean household income in Canada as per the 2015 data is around $98,174 and in the Toronto region is $104,378.
Did you know the city of Toronto has a 51.2% immigrant population?
Top Universities in Toronto
Toronto hosts some of the best universities that offer quality higher education. The University of Toronto is among the top with acing biomedical research and has the third largest library in the world only behind Yale and Harvard University.
The demography and financial backing of this publicly-funded university make it one of the top universities for international students.
Additionally, for international students aspiring to study art and design, Toronto also has Ryerson University, York University, and Ontario University.
University of Toronto
The University of Toronto is a globally top-ranked university that provides quality education to diverse demographics. It is a multi-campus university that offers education to around 97,000 students across various academic disciplines.
Despite its high number of on-campus international students, the University of Toronto has a competitive university with a 43% acceptance rate in the academic year 2022.
Here are a few interesting admission facts regarding the University of Toronto:
- A minimum of 85% academic score is required.
- International students can select their course from 980 programmes from the University of Toronto.
- A GMAT test score is mandatory for admission to master's courses like MBAs.
- Average tuition fees range between 59,000-67,000 CAD.
- The most popular courses from the University of Toronto are MBA, Computer Science, Architecture, Medicine, Masters of Finance.
4 reasons why you should study at the University of Toronto
- University of Toronto is ranked #16 in the top research universities of the world.
- It is a multi-campus university with campuses in Downtown Toronto, Mississauga, and Scarborough.
- It has a moderate acceptance rate of 43% which gives a considerable chance to students to make it into the university.
- International students get a range of scholarships based on academic merits and scores.
Did you know the University of Toronto is ranked among the world's best-across-32-subjects by Shanghai Ranking Consultancy
How great is the education system?
Education comes as a priority for the Canadian government. The second largest public fund investment goes into education.
Canada's education system is divided into four categories: Pre-school, elementary, secondary and post-secondary education. There are public, private and religious education institutions that provide excellent quality education.
Students in Canada are eligible to compulsory education in public school starting at 3-5 years. Canada provides compulsory education till the age of 16, except in Ontario and New Brunswick, where compulsory education is valid till age 18.
As per the data, 90% of Canadians have a high school diploma and 1 in 7 Canadians have graduated at the university level. This data evidences the fact that the Canadian education system is a friendly medium that encourages students to pursue their education with success.
Apart from the standard education system, Canada has plenty of vocational schools and apprenticeship programmes that flesh out a plethora of options for students rather than a standard university degree.
These courses prepare students for the job market and make it easy for them to make professional decisions.
International students can opt for these schools and apprenticeship programmes and get right into the professional world.
What are the benefits of vocational school and apprenticeship?
- Low in cost
- Short academic calendar
Benefits when working in the city of Toronto
Inclusive, vibrant, and full of opportunities, Toronto is home to all these and more. So, if you decide to study and work in the city of Toronto, you will be welcomed with multiple benefits. These benefits include:
- Healthcare - Toronto has one of the finest healthcare facilities in the country and employees get good health and dental care coverage under their employment contract.
- Work-life balance - The city offers a good work culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
- High-Pay - Toronto offers a generous pay scale, so if you get a job in Toronto, it is going to pay well.
- Cultural & Entertainment Hub - Toronto is a vibrant city that offers a plethora of entertainment options with cultural diversity that is celebrated.
Toronto is a great place to study and start your career in. If you are an international student and want to explore your options of studying in Toronto, then get in touch with our education consultant now!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the rank of University of Toronto in terms of higher education?
The University of Toronto is ranked 18th in the world and 2nd among the North American universities by Times Higher Education.
Is there a 'Early Childhood Education' course offered at the University of Toronto?
Integrating diversity and inclusion into early childhood studies, Toronto Metropolitan University's Master of Arts in Early Childhood Studies is unique in North America and is gaining momentum amongst the recent graduates.
What is Canada's most populated city?
With a population of 2.7 million people, Toronto city is Canada's most populous city. The entire Toronto region has a population of around 6 million people.
What is so unique about Toronto?
Toronto is a city that celebrates its cultural diversity and gives a plethora of opportunities to migrants, making it a unique city.