Learn everything you need to know about Canada Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees abroad in Canada
Student Visa Canada for Vietnamese Students
With its inclusive culture, natural beauty and friendly people, Canada makes for a great place to study and make a career in. Known for its academic excellence, cultural diversity and skill development, Canada is one of the hottest study-abroad destinations for international students. Let’s dive into the student visa requirements for studying in Canada to help you get started with your academic journey in Canada.
Overview of AECC Vietnam’s Student Visa Services
AECC Vietnam offers end-to-end student services to help aspiring students carve a career path in their dream destinations. From admission counselling, application process and visa requirements, AECC Vietnam is all about making your study abroad dreams a reality.
Here’s a brief overview of AECC Vietnam’s student services that would help make your study abroad journey hassle-free and memorable.
- Personality Assessment Test - A free Personality Assessment Test to help you determine the kind of person you’re and the line of career you’d excel in based on your personality traits and aspirations.
- Admission Counselling - A meeting with our expert counsellors will clear your confusion away and help you decide on the right course program based on your interests.
- Student Accommodation - Finding a place to stay in a foreign country could be daunting and expensive too. That’s why our expert consultants have it all studied and explored for you to help you choose the best option based on your affordability and convenience.
- University Scholarships Guidance - Scholarship is a golden ticket for aspiring students to study at the best universities in Canada. The Canadian government and Canadian universities offer over 750 plus scholarships and bursaries to promote and encourage international students to pursue their education in Canada. Our expert counsellors could offer you a list of scholarships that are the most suitable and beneficial for your study goals.
- University Application Process - The application process is a tricky one requiring a whole slew of document preparation and submissions and all within a specific deadline! Now, with our expert education consultants at AECC Vietnam, the whole process will be a cakewalk.
- Overseas Student Health Cover - Our team will give you a comparison of the different plans and help you choose a suitable health cover.
- International Student Visa Guidance - Now, for the literal golden ticket, AECC’s team of visa counsellors will lay the plan for you to prepare the necessary documents, attend visa interviews and get your visa approved in time.
- Virtual Internships - AECC’s strategic partnership with Virtual Internships provides students with the experience, knowledge, and insight to seamlessly navigate their career path while pursuing their college/university education.
Benefits of Studying in Canada
Canada offers numerous advantages for international students seeking quality education. Here are some key advantages of pursuing education in Canada:
- Academic Excellence: Canadian universities and colleges are globally recognised for their high academic standards and quality education. The country consistently ranks among the top destinations for students seeking quality education.
- Diverse Range of Programs: Canada offers a wide range of programs and courses across various disciplines, allowing students to choose from numerous academic options based on their interests and career goals.
- Cultural Diversity and Inclusivity: Canada is known for its multicultural society, welcoming students from all backgrounds. Studying in Canada provides an opportunity to experience diverse cultures, languages, and traditions, fostering a global perspective and enriching the learning experience.
- Affordable Education: Compared to other popular study destinations, Canada offers relatively affordable tuition fees for international students. This makes education in Canada more accessible and cost-effective.
- Safe and Welcoming Environment: Canada is consistently ranked as one of the safest countries in the world. It provides a secure and peaceful environment for students, ensuring their well-being and allowing them to focus on their studies.
- Post-Study Work Opportunities: After completing their studies, international students have the opportunity to work in Canada. The country offers various work permit programs that allow graduates to gain valuable work experience and potentially pursue permanent residency.
Student Visa Process for Canada
Applying for a student visa or study permit involves several steps. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a student visa in Canada:
- Research and Choose a Designated Learning Institution (DLI): Research and select a Canadian educational institution that is designated by the government to host international students. Ensure the institution offers programs that align with your academic goals.
- Check Eligibility Requirements: Review the eligibility requirements for a study permit on the official website of the Government of Canada. Ensure you meet the academic, financial, and language proficiency requirements.
- Gather Required Documents: Collect the necessary documents for your application, including your passport, letter of acceptance from a DLI, proof of financial support, language proficiency test results, and other supporting documents as specified by the Canadian immigration authorities. Here is a detailed list of the necessary documents to prepare for your visa application:
- Proof of acceptance
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- A letter of explanation
- An attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- A medical exam
- A custodian declaration (minors only), or
- Other documents
- Complete the Online Application: Complete the online application for a study permit and provide accurate information and pay the required application fee.
- Biometrics and Medical Examination: Depending on your country of residence, you may be required to provide biometric information at a Visa Application Centre. In some cases, a medical examination may also be necessary to meet fitness requirements.
- Submit the Application: After completing the application and gathering all required documents, submit your application online. Ensure that all information provided is accurate and truthful.
- Decision and Visa Issuance: Once your application is processed, you will receive a decision on your study permit application. If approved, you will be issued a study permit, which will allow you to Study in Canada.
- Passport: A valid passport that will remain valid throughout your intended stay in Canada.
- Letter of Acceptance: An official letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
- Proof of Financial Support: Documents demonstrating that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation. This may include bank statements, scholarship letters, or proof of a Canadian bank account.
- Language Proficiency Test Results: Depending on the language of instruction at your chosen institution, you may need to provide language proficiency test results, such as IELTS or TOEFL scores.
- Photographs: Recent passport-sized photographs meet the specified requirements.
- Medical Examination Certificate: In some cases, you may need to undergo a medical examination conducted by an approved panel of physicians.
- Biometric Information: Depending on your country of residence, you may be required to provide biometric information, including fingerprints and a photograph.
- Tuition Fees: You need to provide evidence that you have paid the tuition fees or have sufficient funds to cover them. This can be done through official receipts or a letter from the educational institution.
- Living Expenses: You must show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies. This can be demonstrated through bank statements, proof of a student loan, or a letter from a financial sponsor.
- GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate): Some provinces in Canada require international students to purchase a GIC from a participating Canadian financial institution. The GIC acts as proof of funds and provides you with funds to support your living expenses.
- Proof of Financial Support: You may need to provide additional documentation such as bank statements, scholarship letters, or letters from financial sponsors to demonstrate your ability to cover your expenses.
English Proficiency Tests for Canada Student Visa
If you’re planning to study in Canada, you need to demonstrate English language proficiency. Here are the English language proficiency requirements and accepted language tests that you can take:
- Language Requirements: Canadian educational institutions generally require proof of English language proficiency for admission. The specific language proficiency score or requirement may vary depending on the institution/program.
- Accepted Language Tests: The most commonly accepted English language proficiency tests in Canada are IELTS and TOEFL. These tests assess your English language skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Some institutions may also accept other English language tests, such as the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test or the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
- Minimum Score Requirements: Different programs and institutions may have different minimum score requirements for language proficiency. It's essential to check the specific requirements of the institution you are applying to.
Study Permit Application
Step 1: Ensure you have the necessary requirements
Before applying online, make sure you have the following:
- A scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents.
- A valid credit or debit card.
To ensure you have all the necessary documents and information for your application, consult the instructions provided by your local visa office. Select the country or territory from which you will be applying.
Step 2: Familiarise yourself with the instruction guide
Even if you choose to apply online, it is advisable to read the instruction guide before completing your application. The guide will provide detailed explanations on how to fill out each section of the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you will need to provide responses to certain questions. Your answers will be used to generate a personalised document checklist for your application.
Step 4: Understand the applicable fees
In most cases, the fees for your application will include:
- Processing fees for yourself and any additional individuals included in your application.
- Biometrics fees.
- You will be prompted to pay the fees at the end of your application.
- Fees from third-party entities
Depending on your situation, you may be required to pay additional fees to third-party organisations for services such as:
- Medical examinations
- Police certificates
- Language testing
Step 5: Create an online account or log in
To apply online, create an account. This account will enable you to:
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application
- Check the status of your application
Please note that, If you need an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) or visa, it will be automatically issued along with your study permit. There is no need to apply separately or pay an additional fee.
We hope that all the information we have provided above is helpful for you in your journey to obtain a Student Visa to Study in Canada. AECC continues to strive to provide you with the best and latest information regarding studying abroad, along with impeccable assistance to ensure you live your study abroad dream!
For more information regarding Student Visa Requirements in Canada, contact AECC, book your free consultation, and learn all about the latest updates today!
Frequently asked questions
The processing time for a student visa in Canada can vary depending on various factors, such as the country or region from which the application is made and the time of year. Generally, the processing time ranges from a few weeks to several months. It is recommended to apply well in advance of your intended start date to allow for sufficient processing time.
Yes, as an international student with a valid student visa (study permit), you are generally allowed to work part-time on or off campus while studying in Canada. The Canadian government allows international students to work for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as summer or winter holidays. It is important to note that certain conditions and restrictions apply, so it is advisable to review the specific regulations outlined by the Canadian immigration authorities.
AECC Vietnam is an education consultancy that provides support and guidance to students in their study abroad journey, including assistance with finding suitable accommodation in Canada. We provide information and resources regarding accommodation options such as on-campus residences, off-campus housing, and homestays.
AECC Vietnam offers various support services for international students in Canada. These services may include assistance with the application process, guidance on selecting the right educational institution and program, visa application support, pre-departure orientation, and advice on living and studying in Canada. Additionally, AECC provides ongoing support and resources for students during their time in Canada, including access to networking events, student communities, and other relevant services. For specific details on the support services offered by AECC Vietnam, it is recommended to contact us directly.